Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sequin and Suede




Welcome to the inaugural post of my new blog!! 


I just got home from a trip to Las Vegas where I attended MAGIC, a tradeshow for the fashion and apparel industry. It was a big piece of heaven for me and I left with my love for the fashion industry re-kindled. As a young student all I wanted to do when I graduated from Brooks College with an Associate of Arts degree in Fashion Merchandising was be a buyer for Nordstrom and maybe work my way up into being a personal shopper. These were big dreams for a 21 year old girl who was getting married and moving out to the suburbs of Orange County. 
After the marriage and a move, a baby came along and then another, another and another. My new dream and passion was to be the most loving and devoted mom I could be to my beautiful children. 
I spent a few seasons working part time at Nordstrom during special events, and loved every minute, but knew it was not realistic for me to have a career quite yet. A move to Utah when the last baby was 1, so my husband could pursue opportunities, put me even farther away from the center of my dreams and I began working as a ski instructor at Deer Valley Utah (otherwise known as paradise!) for the next ten years. My children grew, and my dreams of fashion faded as I worried more about lunches, hurt feelings and skinned knees. I also took time after my career as a ski instructor to get a Bachelor's of Science in Economics (graduated Cum Laude!) It was great, while the kids worked on their homework, I did mine as well. From there I have gone on to becoming a freelance project designer in the paper crafting industry. 
Along the way I have learned many important lessons, some were expensive and other free. They all have lead me to where I am at now, and I am very excited to be standing at the thresh hold of my dreams. This is where I can take all that I am and deposit it into all that I want to be. Exciting, exhilarating, and very frightening! 


Sequin and Suede






































Sequin and Suede by bekzilla 




These dreams were hidden, afraid of being found. Because with my dreams there would come failures, disappointments and  pain. I have experienced much of that in my life, and hadn't wanted to add more to my plate. But I removed my fear from the equation, and realized that I could handle what was left. So I am forging ahead, excited about failures, anticipating disappointment and embracing pain. For without any of those moments I won't be able to find success, joy and growth.


One of the best ways for me to identify and enjoy my passion for fashion was through the website Polyvore. I am quite new to it and learning more each day, but the fundamentals with finding things that I like and combining them all together, I was like a duck in water. 


I will be looking for fashion that is fresh, modern with a classic spin and modest. What I find there I will be sharing here and discussing it! I do love the "labels" but will also be scouring for companies that fit my bill in all kinds of price points, so if you have a favorite, please let me know so I can check them out!!


And remember, the most beautiful thing you can wear is a smile  :o)


B-

2 comments:

  1. I feel your excitement! Gooo, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be looking for guest bloggers and contributors, let me know if you are interested!

      B-

      Delete